A few weeks ago, Tehran’s morality police and security authorities told the café’s proprietors to install a minimum of four surveillance cameras on the premises as part of state efforts to tighten civic monitoring and security. The owners decided they would not do so. Recognising that this would result in further harassment and eventual closure, they shut down the cafe themselves to protest against the new surveillance measures.
"We always knew this day would come and, in the midst of Tehran’s grimy winter, our end has finally arrived in spite of our many attempts to stay afloat," read a statement posted on the Café Prague Facebook page.
"But as much as it pains us and as much as we will miss our friends and all of you who stood by our side in the past four years, we take comfort in knowing that we at least didn’t let Big Brother’s glass eyes scan and record our every step, minute and memory from dawn till dusk."
The café’s closure is a significant loss for Tehran’s academic and cultural life. During its short existence, Café Prague offered much more than just coffee and free wi-fi; it played host to a number of social and political events, from photo exhibitions supporting local artists to music performances and vibrant left-leaning discussions on workers’ rights.
- ibenholt likes this
- frangis45 likes this
- maiamaia likes this
- n-aw likes this
- nolandwithoutstones reblogged this from yanorayanora
- nolandwithoutstones likes this
- sowideasea likes this
- uprootedreality likes this
- yanorayanora reblogged this from obliquecity
- wordsforworlds likes this
- vulgarweed likes this
- lauraloveslions reblogged this from seaofgreen
- eyesthebye reblogged this from perzadook and added:
- malegayzes reblogged this from obliquecity
- lotfan likes this
- kaylantabari reblogged this from seaofgreen
- obliquecity reblogged this from seaofgreen
- trish-runs-the-world-away likes this
- obliquecity likes this
- theoriginaljoefisher likes this
- jsetayes17 reblogged this from seaofgreen
- jsetayes17 likes this
- coketalk likes this
- emir-dynamite reblogged this from lajacobine
- lajacobine reblogged this from seaofgreen
- perzadook reblogged this from seaofgreen
- speakthespeech reblogged this from seaofgreen
- citizenkerry likes this
- seaofgreen posted this